What is a Project Manager?
A project manager is someone who manages projects. But what does this mean? A project can be anything, and project managers may, or may not, be responsible for other areas of work besides managing projects.
The fact is that project managers come in various forms. Most people have been a project manager at one point or another whether they realize it or not. Regardless of whether you’ve planned a kid’s birthday party or helped designed the new iOS for Apple, you’ve managed a project.
Project managers are usually responsible for performing several core functions, including:
- Managing changes in project status and requirements
- Documenting work requirements
- Structuring work plans and timelines
- Communicating with other people who are involved in the project
- Staying within the project’s constraints (time / budget)
- Ensuring the project flows smoothly from beginning to end
- Coordinating meetings and resources
Are You a Project Manager?
Lots of people can be considered project managers. What type of project manager are you?
- Are you an informal project manager responsible for managing any type of project or set of tasks involving more than one person?
- Are you an individual responsible for the completion of any set of tasks or projects?
- Is your job title “Project Manager?”
- Are you part of a Project Management Organization (PMOs) responsible for forecasting and planning projects?
Skills for a Project Manager
If you are a project manager of any kind, chances are you are in high demand. To keep track of your daily to-do list and generally keep your life organized, consider trying a visual project management tool such as a task board or online project board. Visual management is a great way to share what you are working on with a team so that people can collaborate and get things done more quickly and more effectively. Learn more about how to become an effective Visual Project Manager and try a FREE project management tool.
|IT Software Development||Construction Project Management||Marketing & Advertising|